[mrtg] Blocking ip addresses and/or ports from being recorded

Lloyd Bayley lloyd at mbcomms.net.au
Fri Jan 17 02:48:20 MET 2003

Greetings People,

I was wondering if someone could enlighten me if I can do the following
somehow:

Scenario
-------------

I am monitoring a Catalyst 2900 series 24 port switch and that portion is
working correctly. We also have monitoring software running to make sure
servers stay up..etc...

Desire
----------

I would like to be able to remove this traffic from the end figures/graphs
if possible.
The monitoring traffic is coming from one IP address only and it goes to
it's own port (usually something out of scope like 8888)

Am I able to "filter" this in MRTG somehow? Is this something I need to do
at switch-level (we have enterprise series switches).
I have yet to discover exactly what the switch answers with when MRTG
queries it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even if it's a "It can't be done". :)

Thanks In Advance,

Lloyd. :)