[mrtg] Re: MRTG or SNMP Oddity

Holt Grendal holtor at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 27 17:18:40 MET 2003

Hello all,

I still have this problem and apparently my reply message
several days ago got rejectred due to too much quoting. Since
then I've gathered some more information and it looks like this
in an MRTG problem if you read my original post below.

FYI: In my .cfg i have Options: bits
I turned on debugging when one of these DoS attacks was going
on and here is the data I collected:

>From mrtg debug:
--base: Get Current values: 441520471, 58990350, 8 days, 5:50:19, switch-name, 1043682903)

What actually printed in the .log file for the interface:
1043682903 12194264 14227 12194264 14227

>From mrtg debug (5 mins after the above one):
--base: Get Current values: 1722929411, 64825171, 8 days, 5:55:19, switch-name, 1043683203)

What actually printed in the .log file for the interface:
1043683203 12194264 19449 12194264 19449

Those numbers captured from snmp and the numbers printed
in the *.log by mrtg do not match. I'm not sure what the units
are but whatevere they are you can clearly see the snmp values
changing while the ones printed in the mrtg log do not change.

Does anyone know why this occurs? Does anyone know what units
the values from snmp are? I know in the log its saved in bits
since I specified that.

Would switching to rrdtool help?

I wasn't able to find anything out of the ordinary in the debug
log. I had almost every option turned on.

Thanks,

Holt