[mrtg] Re: memory on w2k server

Jerry Heidtke jheidtke at fmlh.edu
Tue Jan 28 16:37:33 MET 2003

They are not just for "Compaq Proliant ML530", they are for any Compaq
Proliant running the Insight Manager agents. Other server vendors have
similar agents that provide much better and more reliable information than
the agents MS provides.

Of course, if you're running your mission-critical server on a white box
from Joe's Pizza and PC Shop, such useful statistics might not be available
to you. You should ask yourself why something important enough track
utilization with mrtg isn't important enough to run on a "real" server.
Sometimes this question has no good answer. In that case, you need to use
whatever data the OS vendor provide. NetWare provides good memory
utilization statistics in .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.host, as do most
versions of Unix. Windows doesn't.

There are basically two options. One is to use a third-party agent that
exposes Windows performance counter data. See
http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/default.htm for software and configuration
examples. In fact, the OID that Sander is trying to use is from the agent
from this site. If you don't have the agent loaded, there nothing there to
graph. This is not something provided by, or supported in any way, by
Microsoft. In fact, the methods and tools used to develop this agent are no
longer available from Microsoft. Some people find that the data is somewhat
unreliable, or that the agent causes other problems.

There are other agents with similar functionality. In many organizations, it
is difficult to get approval to load such non-commercial software on
important systems.

The other option is to use the Windows performance counter data directly in
mrtg. This is detailed at http://www.wn.com.au/psimmo/, as someone else
pointed out. It requires no additional agents on the systems being
monitored. This is as reliable as Windows NT Performance Monitor (which
isn't saying a lot).