[mrtg] Re: Cabletron Systems

nate mrtg at aphroland.org
Fri Jan 31 20:54:26 MET 2003

McBurnett, Jim said:

> Does anyone have experience with Cabletron Switches and routers and MRTG /
> RRD??
>

> Any insights?
> I have a mostly Cisco background and have been asked to examine the
> reports  we could get from MRTG/RRD..

depends on the model, I used to have the misfortune of having a few
cabletron switches, forget the models but they were really old, probably
6 years old or more. I think maybe something like ELS-24TXM and ELS-27TX
or something were the models?

anyways the 10mbit switches had I think 24 10mbit ports and 3 100mbit
ports, they would routinely stop responding to SNMP(and telnet) perhaps
2-3 times a month and require a hard reboot to get them responding again.
I had 1 100mbit 24-port cabletron(1U), which I used for a short time, I
don't remember it locking up the management interfaces but I didn't use
it for long since it refused to uplink to my cisco 2900 switch for some
reason, never had a problem uplinking any of the other switches to that
one at the time. convinced the CEO to let me buy a summit 48 to replace
the cabletron crap and was very happy after that :)

perhaps some of their newer stuff is better..

nate