[mrtg] Re: Converting to RRDtool

Burke, John R. John.Burke2 at BHSALA.com
Wed Jul 2 23:40:08 MEST 2003

I am not familiar with log2rrd. Where can I get it?

Thanks for you help!

JB

-----Original Message-----
From: PAUL WILLIAMSON [mailto:pwilliamson at mandtbank.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 4:15 PM
To: Burke, John R.; mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] Re: Converting to RRDtool

What I would do....

Method A:
1.  Copy the files over to the windows box using some text copy facility

like ftp or scp or something.
2.  Run the log2rrd utility to convert the files to the rrd format, and
off you go.

Method B:
1.  Convert the files to RRD format using log2rrd on the superior linux
box. 2.  Do an RRDDump of the files to xml 3.  Go to Method A.

Either way should work.

>>> "Burke, John R." <John.Burke2 at BHSALA.com> 07/02/03 05:03PM >>>
I am trying to convert my mrtg log files to rrd's and run into
conversion problems. The error I get is "error fetching cdp from rra"
during the conversion. An rrd file is created with valid headers (from
rrdtool info command), but I get the same error when trying to fetch
data from the rrd file.

Also, the rrd's that are created give highly inaccurate data (negative
values and such).

I guess it has something to do with running on Win2K (trust me, this is
not my choice) The conversion runs fine on my Linux machine (that I am
not supposed to have running;) but the rrd is in a different format that
cannot be put back on the win2k machine and used by mrtg.

Anybody run into this problem?

jb