[mrtg] Monitoring IP Traffic Per Server/Address

Dannie M. Stanley dannie at spinweb.net
Thu Jul 3 18:30:05 MEST 2003

Hi All:

I am new to the list.  And new to MRTG.  I know enough about it though
to know that it is easy to setup (initially) and it makes pretty graphs.

I have successfully setup MRTG to monitor traffic for a Cisco router:

    IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.2(5a)

We would like to also use MRTG to monitor traffic usage on a per server
basis.  We would be happy to do it per IP address or per switch port.

We currently have an "unmanaged" switch and are willing to purchase new
hardware to accomplish the goal if a "managed" switch is what we need.
We have been looking at these to devices as they have a good
price/feature ratio:

   * Cisco  Catalyst 2950
   * Superstack 3 Switch 4226T 24 Port Plus 2 10/100/1000

So the way seems to me is that I need a managed switch and I will be
able to pull graphs based on the physical port on the switch.

So my questions are:

   1) Are my above assumptions correct?
   2) Is there a better/best way to accomplish this goal?
   3) What managed switch would work best for this goal?

I would like to get as much feedback as possible before asking my
company to invest in new hardware.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Thanks,
Dannie