[mrtg] Re: Unusable cfgmaker file...please help

Eric Brander Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb.com
Tue Jul 8 14:24:36 MEST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Rife" <brife at integrinets.com>
To: <mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch>
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 6:19 PM
Subject: [mrtg] Unusable cfgmaker file...please help

> All,
>
> The following is a script I run to generate .cfg files for my devices
> and below is the Bens.Pix.Firewall.cfg file output. I can ping the
> firewall and snmpwalk it as well, but I can't get a usable .cfg file.
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben

Believe it or not, the message above each commented section is a good
starting point for finding a solution to your problem.

~snip~> # Created by
> # /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/cfgmaker --global 'WorkDir: /home/mrtg/html'
> --global 'Options[_]: bits,growright' --output
> /home/mrtg/etc/Bens.Pix.Firewall.cfg --no-down --ifdesc=descr
> --ifref=descr --noreversedns --subdirs=Bens.Pix.Firewall
> viper at 192.168.1.110

~snip~

Ok, here is what you used to make the config

~snip~
> ### Interface 0 >> Descr: '' | Name: '' | Ip: '20.1.4.192.168.1.110' |
> Eth: '' ###
> ### The following interface is commented out because:
> ### * has a speed of  which makes no sense
> ### * --ifref=descr is not unique for this interface
~snip~

Here's 0.  A speed of (null) which makes no sense. Cfgmaker relies on
what the port is set to in order to know what its speed is.  On a Cisco
(and other brands I think) a port with nothing in it may report a null
speed.  Sometimes on older IOS, even if the port is up and running it
will report a null in the bandwidth field under SNMP.  To correct this
you can either manually edit the config file by removing the comments
(#) and changing the maxbytes to the correct number, or you can change
the port config on the Cisco with the Bandwidth parameter. Not certain
of the specifics of that command, check your IOS documentation.
However, I'm not sure why you have a long and crazy IP address.
Cfgmaker doesn't just dream this stuff up, its all achieved by walking
the SNMP oid tree for the interface.  IOS is reporting that odd IP
address for some reason.  In this case it doesn't seem like it will
affect the MRTG output.

~snip~
> ### Interface 1 >> Descr: '' | Name: '' | Ip: '' | Eth:
> '00-04-9a-d0-f7-96' ###
> ### The following interface is commented out because:
> ### * --ifref=descr is not unique for this interface
~snip~

The description is not unique.  You told cfgmaker to use the description
field with the
--ifdesc=descr parameter, but you don't have your descriptions unique on
your PIX.  Again, you can manually edit the config or fix the PIX.  In
IOS the command should be "desc" for setting the description, but verify
that with your IOS manual before making any changes of course.

That should cover the obvious problems with your scenario. I hope this
helps.

Eric Brander
Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb dot com