[mrtg] Re: Monitoring amount of bandwidth using

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri Jul 11 10:39:21 MEST 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 11:45:42AM -0400, David Loszewski wrote:
> Say I have a 20GB data transfer limit per month, how do I measure that with MRTG? Is there a way?
> Dave

"Month" is a variable.  It can mean 28,29,30 or 31 days.  This part
is somewhat hard.

Let's assume month means 28 days.  Create the images as usual but make sure
the monthly graph displays exactly 28 days.  This is 28*24 == 672 hours.
This is 336 pixels if each pixel covers two hours.  The keyword to use
in your mrtg.cfg file is something like "XSize" or so.  Look it up in the
docs to be sure.

You are allowed to transfer 20 GB each month.  A month (28 days again) is
2419200 seconds.  20,000,000,000 / 2,419,200 seconds == 8,267 bytes per second.
This is 20,000,000,000 * 8 / 2,419,200 == 66,137 bits per second.

Look at the averages as mentioned below the image.  If it tells you that you
did 4 kBps on average, all is well.  If it tells you that you did 10 kBps on
average, you have a problem.  Make sure you don't mix up bits and bytes.

The same story applies for months of 29,30 or 31 days.  Just do the math.

HTH
Alex