[mrtg] Re: MRTG and RRD

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Jul 17 14:18:40 MEST 2003

It is possible with RRDTool.  When you create your RRD initially, you'll

either need to do it by hand or modify cfgmaker to store however
many 5 minute points you want.  We do this today, but the size of the
RRD will grow significantly (roughly 300 times as large as the default
RRD).

If you want about a year's worth of 5 minute data points, you'll need
to specify
288  x 400 = 115200.  Just to be safe, this way you'll store a little
more than
you need, but it should get what you are looking for.

288 samples per day (in 5 minute increments)
400 days' worth in the RRA
115,200 samples for 400 days' worth of 5 minute data.

Just modify mrtg in the area where the RRD is created.  That would be
the
easiest.  Then you automatically create every RRD with a 5 minute RRA
of the size you want.

Paul

>>> "Simon Hall" <itguy at xtrahost.co.uk> 07/17/03 06:54AM >>>
Hello,
Recently after some investigation after some queries about the MRTG
logs I
have discovered that over time data gets summarized/averaged.  The
main
reasons I can see for this are to maintain manageable sized log files
and
that each graph requires a particular amount of data to be generated.
I am
sure it is documented somewhere, but I have not been able to find out
the
exact reasons.  After looking into the RRD tool and the tutorials I
came
across this snippet of information about the MRTG logs.  I found it in
the
First Steps Tutorial for the RRD tool by Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/tutorial/rrdtutorial.html

under the heading of "A Real World Example" it discusses MRTG logs
 600 5-minute samples:    2   days and 2 hours
 600 30-minute samples:  12.5 days
 600 2-hour samples:     50   days
 732 1-day samples:     732   days

All this is very interesting.  But I need to be able to generate graphs
on
demand for any period down to a 5 minute interval.  I have read the
documentation on RRD, but it is still not clear to me if on using mrtg
and
RRD together I would be able to generate daily graphs for any period in
the
past.  Could someone give me a definitive answer.

Kind Regards

Simon Hall