[mrtg] Re: mrtg with Foundry Server Iron gigabit ethernet

Woodcock, Bradford Bradford.Woodcock at Level3.com
Mon Jul 28 04:25:48 MEST 2003

Hi Kevin,

This seems like maybe you are hitting the 32 bit counter rollover issue.
At that rate the counters may roll over faster than 5 minutes (causing
inaccuracy). I would suggest you use snmpwalk (or getif..) to watch the
counter value through one of these 5 minute intervals every few seconds.
If you see it roll over that is the culprit. You may need to point at 64
bit counter. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Woody...
http://www.inframon.org (infraMon - Network Infrastructure Monitor)

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Metz [mailto:kbmetz at yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 5:47 PM
To: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] mrtg with Foundry Server Iron gigabit ethernet

I've got a Foundry Server Iron with a gigabit
ethernet module installed. So far mrtg has been
performing perfectly. Once our bandwidth hit 120mb/s,
mrtg broke. So, my first throught was the limit in the
cfg file. So I doubled that for the port. No such
luck. I upgraded to the latest version of mrtg, still
nothing. All the other graphs work for other ports,
and mrtg still reports the incoming bandwidth
correctly. How-ever its still misreporting the
outgoing bandwidth...maybe my 90mb/s I guess. I'm not
exactly sure. Maybe someone else has some idea's or has seen
this before?

Target[foundry2_26]: 26:localhost at foundry2:
SetEnv[foundry2_26]: MRTG_INT_IP=""
MRTG_INT_DESCR="GigabitEthernet"
MaxBytes[foundry2_26]: 1250000000
Title[foundry2_26]: Traffic Analysis for GigE
PageTop[foundry2_26]: Traffic Analysis for GigE

   System:     localhost
   Maintainer:
   ifType:     iso88023Csmacd (7)
   ifName:     GigabitEthernet26
   Max Speed:  1250.0 MBytes/s

 (it used to be 125000000 and 125.0 like a default)

Thanks
Kevin