[mrtg] Re: Create .rrd files from .log files

Peter Glanville peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Mon Jul 28 17:11:30 MEST 2003

> I still want to run mrtg in old fashion! but also convert some of my
.logs to .rrd to be able to view them. What should I do? and what is the
best cgi to create graphs from rrds? thanks

If you modify the CFG file and run mrtg once, it will create the new .rrd
file for you, and leave the old .log file there. You then have both log and
rrd. How are you going to keep both up to date?
You could run two copies of MRTG, one with log and one with rrd.

For viewing, I use Routers2.cgi, I like it's layout. I tried 14all.cgi too.

NB In a windows world, you need to use RRD 1.0.33 (not later) to convert
old log files, and then upgrade to a current version for running
thereafter.
In a windows world, MRTG-RRD.cgi does not work.

Regards
Peter