[mrtg] Re: MRTG log files

Peter Glanville peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Wed Jul 30 13:45:47 MEST 2003

> Please could somebody help me is trying to understand how the log files
> withing MRTG are structured?!?
> Just a overview would be nice!

An overview is all you get.

Line one: Date (seconds since Jan 1 1970), latest In and Out counter
readings from Router (or Out & In, I can never remember)
Line two onwards: Date (as above), Rate In, Rate Out, Peak In, Peak Out.

Each time MRTG runs, it saves the Log as OLD and updates the Log.
The new reading is put at the top.
It subtracts the previous reading, divides by time interval (300 secs),
truncates decimals and writes the calculated Rate to the file (in
Bytes/sec. 'bits' conversion is done at presentation time, not in the log).
It then whips downs the file, keeping 5 min points for a day, half hour
points for a week, etc, so the file does not grow over time, but keeps a
lot of history.
The Peak values reflect the max 5 min Rate seen during the appropriate
period.

If you want something shorter than 5 mins, or you want decimals or negative
values, you need to move on to RRD
For exact accuracy issues, search the archive for words like Normalise.

Regards
Peter