[mrtg] Re: monitoring cisco 515e pix firewall

Mike Wren mwren at burnsmcd.com
Wed Jul 30 16:21:14 MEST 2003

Besides monitoring the 6 interfaces on my PIX, I also monitor CPU utilization, memory used & free, Memory block usage (4, 80, 256, 1550 bytes) and connections.  I also graph uptime on all my devices so I can keep track of when it was restarted.  The number of connections can be larger than the number of users that you have on the network.  When a page is requested from the internet, the browser then starts requesting any other pages or images referenced on the page.  I have about 1600 users on my network and I know not all of them are using the internet at once, but usually during lunch I have around 2000 to 3000 connections.

The Blue line on your graph will only get higher, until the PIX is restarted, since it represents the maximum number of instantaneous connections.  The Green area is the number of current connections at the time that MRTG queried for the data.  That is why the green area might not get as high as the blue line.

Michael Wren
Senior Network Analyst
Burns & McDonnell Engineering
P.O. Box 419173
Kansas City, MO 64141-6173
mwren at burnsmcd.com
816-822-3160

>>> "Brad Covell" <bcovell at sagestone.com> 07/30/2003 8:46:42 AM >>>
Has anyone monitored a cisco 515e pix firewall? I got a couple of OIDs
to monitor the memory and cpu usage of the firewall. But I also got the
OID below off of this list to monitor the number of Pix connections.
I've been monitoring the firewall for a couple of weeks but haven't been
able to find out what exactly the graph from this target is monitoring.
The green is suppose to be the number of pix user connections but we
don't have even close to 300 employees and the blue looks off too. So
I'm wondering what exactly I am monitoring here because to me at least
it doesn't look like the number of connections. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Brad

=20

=20

 day

Max Current=20

1050.0 B/s=20

=20

Average Current=20

108.0 B/s=20

=20

Current Current=20

154.0 B/s=20

Max Max=20

1138.0 B/s=20

=20

Average Max=20

772.0 B/s=20

=20

Current Max=20

1138.0 B/s=20

GREEN ###

PIX User Connections

BLUE ###

Max Connections since reboot

DARK GREEN###

Max value/interval on graph

MAGENTA###

.

								=09

=20

Target[<IP
Address>_cnx]:1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.147.1.2.2.2.1.5.40.6&1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.147.1
.2.2.2.1.5.40.7:<community>@ipaddr

YLegend[<IP Address>_cnx]: Connections

ShortLegend[<IP Address>_cnx]:

MaxBytes[<IP Address>_cnx]: 10000

Options[<IP Address>_cnx]: nopercent, gauge, unknaszero

Unscaled[<IP Address>_cnx]: y

Legend1[<IP Address>_cnx]: PIX User Connections

Legend2[<IP Address>_cnx]: Max Connections since reboot

Legend3[<IP Address>_cnx]: Max value/interval on graph

Legend4[<IP Address>_cnx]: .

LegendI[<IP Address>_cnx]: Current

LegendO[<IP Address>_cnx]: Max

Title[<IP Address>_cnx]: PIX Connections

PageTop[<IP Address>_cnx]: <H1>Connections - Dummy Entry</H1>

WithPeak[<IP Address>_cnx]: ymw

=20

-- Type: image/gif
-- Desc: image001.gif