[mrtg] Re: Mrtg to monitor FTP traffic

Simon Leinen simon at limmat.switch.ch
Mon Jun 2 15:30:05 MEST 2003

Fülöp Márton writes:
>> How can I monitor FTP traffic on 21 port on 123.456.678.789 Ip
>> address?  Can somebody tell me how to make cfg fort this?

> configure your firewall for traffic accounting and pass that data to
> MRTG.

Good suggestion.

> keep in mind ftp often uses random ports for data transfer.

Yes, today most data traffic flows over non-well-known ports in
"passive" mode.  Active mode (which does use a well-known port) is
more complicated for firewalls, therefore it is broken in many places,
therefore newer FTP client software (such as the major browsers) use
passive mode by default.
--
Simon.