[mrtg] Wrong numbers showing on graph.

Keith Woodworth kwoody at citytel.net
Mon Jun 2 19:05:28 MEST 2003

Been using MRTG for a number of years now but a week ago have had a
situation come up where some programming was needed to pull data from a
non-snmp device and graph.

Ive been able to do that successfully using expect and some perl. Reading
over the docs and such Ive come up with a simple MRTG cfg file:

--- Cut
Workdir: /usr/local/www/data/sandvine

Title[Users]: Sockets in Use : PPE
PageTop[Users]: <H2>Number of P2P Sockets in use: PPE</H2>
Target[Users]: `cat /root/sockets`
MaxBytes[Users]: 1000
AbsMax[Users]: 1000
Options[Users]: gauge, nopercent
YLegend[Users]: # of Sockets
ShortLegend[Users]:  Sockets
LegendI[Users]: &nbsp;
LegendO[Users]:
Legend1[Users]: Number of Connections
--- Cut

The file sockets always contains 4 numbers:

450
0
0
0

The first number always changes of course but the other three remain 0.
The problem lies in that MRTG is fed the data but when the graphs are
produced the number that shows Current: under the graph is NOT the number
that is in the /root/sockets file, which is what I'd expect.

So instead of 450 being displayed as Current Sockets the graph displays a
seemingly random number but it will be, for example, 422. Next time the
/root/sockets will have 523 and the graph will display 501. Ive deleted
all the html/png files so MRTG has to recreate them again but the problem
persists.

MRTG v2.9.22 on FreeBSD 4.7.

Any pointers on how to fix this error? I'm not sure why it happening.

Thanks,
Keith