[mrtg] Re: Loading multiple MIBS into mrtg at once

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Jun 3 14:18:52 MEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 22:06, Jarrod Friedland wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Is it possible using --global='LoadMIBs:
> /home/jfriedla/MIB/*.mib,/var/www/html/mrtg' to load multiple MIB files at
> once ... say I have th mib files for a device and there are say 8 to load.
> Just wondering if there is a quicker way then running
>
> cfgmaker --global='WorkDir:/var/www/html/mrtg' --global='LoadMIBs:
> /home/*/MIB/rfc1757.mib,/var/www/html/mrtg' public at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

If it is the same mib for each one of your configs, you only need to
load it once.  All that loadmibs does is tell SNMP_utils.pm where to go
look for a mib file if it can't find a mapping in a file called
oid-mib-cache.txt .  If the module finds a mib name without a cached
entry, it parses the mib and puts the entry in the oid-mib-cache.txt
file, and ignores the mib until you add another name that it doesn't
have cached.

You can also edit the file manually, if your mib structure is too
complex to parse without torture (Think Cisco with their 3 levels of
includes and lots of bizarre dependencies) but you still want to use
mnemonics.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE 2495, CNX
Austin Energy