[mrtg] Re: Cisco 2950 - IP addresses

Shane Castle [AIX] swcxt at co.boulder.co.us
Wed Jun 11 01:02:50 MEST 2003

The command 'sho mac-ad' on the 2950 will display the MAC table, but
it's not correlated with IP addresses.  The 2950 won't know those since
it's strictly a layer-2 device.  You need to go to the nearest router
and look at its ARP table; for Cisco routers the command is 'sho ip arp'
and more recent IOS versions can display the IP address for a particular
MAC address (e.g., 'sho ip arp 00b0.d0f3.d495').

There's a component of CiscoWorks 2000 LMS, Campus Manager, that will
put that info together and display it for you nicely but CW2K is pricey.
You can actually get all the necessary info via SNMP queries but it's
a fair amount of research and programming to put it all together.

So I think the short answer is, no, there's not an easier way.

--
Shane Castle
Boulder County Info Svcs