[mrtg] Re: mrtg on windows polling linux.

Manny Ortega aortega at univ-wea.com
Wed Jun 25 16:07:48 MEST 2003

SNMP is SNMP no matter what the OS is....
Until you can walk *any* OID on a box you should worry about MRTG.
In other words, make sure that SNMP is working on the box before even
thinking of MRTG.

How do you do that?
Using something other than MRTG to poll or walk an OID on that box.

Here is what I use:
I use windows, so I downloaded a command utility that includes snmpget.exe
and snmpwalk.exe (there are other utilities, but those are the ones that I
use the most), I got that tool from here:
http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/redirect.htm
The actual tool (win32tools.exe) can be downloaded from here:
http://24.86.129.160:8181/webfiles/SNMP++/Win32Tools.exe

Another tool for windows that I (and lots of people) like is Getif, which is
a very handy GUI tool; get it from here:
http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/getif.htm

Until one of those tools can query or walk an SNMP OID on *any* box with
SNMP on *any* operating system, then you can use MRTG.

Hope that helps.

-MannyO