[mrtg] MRTG corrupting RRD files? Minimum one second step error

Michael Grice grice at binc.net
Wed Jun 25 18:28:02 MEST 2003

I've run into the following error four times in the last two weeks or
so:

ERROR: Cannot update /local/data/mrtg/device/distb.binc.net/log/8_16.rrd
with '1056551775:1264697581:1078609798' illegal attempt to update using
time 1056551775 when last update time is 2099102368 (minimum one second
step)

Obviously, I'm using mrtg with rrdtool (mrtg 2.9.25 and rrdtool 1.0.38 on
Solaris 8).

If I do a rrdtool fetch and look at the data, there are only a few
entries, and these are naturally far in the future (2036).  The solution
is to delete the offending rrd file, restore it from the last backup,
and start again.

However, this is kind of a pain, as mrtg stops collecting data for
the interfaces or ports after this one (although I think this has only
occurred with switches).

Has anyone seen this sort of issue before? I couldn't find anything in
the archives. I will probably upgrade both mrtg and rrd, but if anyone
has any other thoughts I'd appreciate them.

BTW, as far as I can tell, the system time shouldn't be an issue; I use
ntp, and that seems to be behaving well. Were the system time an issue,
I would expect more than one rrd at a time to have problems.

Thanks,

Michael