[mrtg] Re: Graphing VPN SAs from Sonicwall

Andrew Davis andrew at socallinuxsolutions.com
Thu Mar 6 07:04:13 MET 2003

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't claim to be that proficient with SNMP.
I've inserted some questions below some of your answers. I'd much
appreciate if you could help out...

Peter Erickson wrote:

 > To answer your question, yes, I have been able to pull stats out of
the sonicwall. Im not sure if its the stats that you are looking for,
but hopefully this will at least help get you moving in the right
direction. One thing that I did notice that bugs me though is that the
Sonicwall does not save the information that MRTG graphs by default.
Meaning that it does not record the ifInOctets and ifOutOctets, which is
extremely frusterating.

I am actually looking for some very basic info. I have three
interfaces... LAN, WAN, & DMZ. All I really want to do is get basic
traffic stats out of the interfaces... just something that will show me
that the interfaces are actually be utilized, the ability to see spikes
and lows, and average traffic in Kb, Mb, etc.

 > I didnt originally setup the Sonicwall, but I can try to explain what
I did to get as far as I did. The first thing that I did was to log into
the router and went to the management page. (Im not looking at the
router right now, since I cant get to it from home. If this doesnt work,
let me know and Ill help as much as i can). I enabled SNMP and set the
community phrase, system location, and contact values. I did not fill in
the trap host or anything like that.

 > After setting this stuff up, I needed to either load the MIBs into
mrtg or determine the numeric OID. I found that determining the numeric
OID to be the easiest route. So to determine the numeric value I used
the snmptranslate command from the net-snmp pkg. I created the
~/.snmp/mibs directory and copied all the sonicwall MIBS to that dir.
(sonic_stats.MIB, SW-SMI.MIB, SW-FIREWALL-TRAP.MIB) I then created the
file ~/.snmp/snmp.conf and added the following line:

 > mibs +ALL

I have a /usr/local/mrtg-2/mibs directory. In it, I have
sw-firewall-trap.mib & sw-smi.mib. #1... they are lower case, not upper.
Is this important? #2... I don't have a sonic_stats.MIB. Where'd you get
it? I had emailed SW a long time ago and they only gave me the two I
have listed above. Would you mind attaching it or posting it on a
website please? Also, I notice you have this one in all lowercase with
the .MIB in upper case. Since UNIX/Linux is case sensitive... is this
important?

I notice you make reference to a .snmp directory. I have a
/usr/share/snmp/snmpconf dir with an snmp.conf subdir (not a file). I
don't have a .snmp dir nor an snmp.conf file. Typically . dirs are
sub-dirs of users home directories. So did you create a .snmp for your
BB user, then create snmp.conf within it? I don't recall creation of a
.snmp or .snmp/snmp.conf in the mrtg-2 install docs.