[mrtg] Re: OIDs ok but MIB files?

Matt Mozur matt.mozur at sourwood.net
Fri Mar 7 04:17:27 MET 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Sameh Ahmed wrote:

> Hi there
> sorry for such a dumb question.
> I know that I use OIds to specify the value I want to monitor on a specific
> system.
> But why do I need the MIB files if I already have the OID?
> Regards
> Sameh

Hi,

If you use numeric OIDs then you don't need to load the MIBs.  But, if you
would like to specify the OID symbolically, you need the MIB.  For
example, if you want to find the amount of DRAM in your system you can
specify the OID: .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.6.101. Doing it this way, there is
not need to load the HOST_RESOURCES-MIB.

If you load the MIB, you could specify the variable symbolically:
  hrStorageUsed.101.

hth

mm