[mrtg] Re: OIDs ok but MIB files?

Brander, Eric Eric.Brander at ACS-INC.com
Fri Mar 7 15:15:13 MET 2003

I like to equate mibs to oids as DNS to ip addresses.  The DNS (in its basic
form) is just a way to use a name to represent an IP address.  The mib gives
a name to represent an oid number.  Behind the scenes the end result is the
same.

Eric Brander
ACS
Texas CHIP Account
Sr. Communications Engineer - Information Systems Department
512.336.3331
Eric dot Brander at acs-inc dot com

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Mozur [mailto:matt.mozur at sourwood.net]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 7:38 AM
To: Phil Iovino
Cc: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] Re: OIDs ok but MIB files?

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Phil Iovino wrote:

> Another dumb question... :) Generally speaking for targets, is there
> anything you can do using MIBs that you can't  accomplish with OIDs?

Not so dumb... :\)  You piqued my curosity & since I am not all that
knowledgeable about the inner working of snmp, I grabbed a few snmp
packets on my system to look at.

Regardless of whether you use symbolic or numeric OIDs in your config, the
snmp GET packet that is sent to the agent uses the numeric nomenclature.
So, AFAIK, the MIB is only useful to you to provide symbolic naming for
OIDs.

To be taken with a grain of salt :)

mm