[mrtg] Unix compilation error

RJ Remien rj_remien at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 11 04:13:14 MET 2003

Unix compiling error.

I am trying to install mrtg-2.9.27 on Red Hat linux 8.0.  I have gcc and
perl installed.  I followed word for word the library compilation in the
unix-guide.html. When I run the following command -  ./configure
--prefix=/usr/local/mrtg-2, I get the following error.  Ooops, one of many
bad things happened:

   a)  You don't have the GD library installed.
       Get it from http://www.boutell.com, compile it and
       use either --with-gd-lib=DIR and --with-gd-inc=DIR to specify
       its location. You might also have to use --with-z-inc,
             --with-z-lib and --with-png-inc, --with-png-lib for gd
             versions 1.6 and higher.  Check config.log for more
       information on the problem.

   b)  You have the GD library installed, but not the gd.h
       header file.  Download the source (see above) and use
       --with-gd-inc=DIR to specify where the file can be found.

   c)  You have the library and the header file installed, but
       you also have a shared GD library in the same directory.
       Remove the shared library files and/or links (e.g.
       libgd.so.2.0.0, libgd.so and libgd.so.2).  This is especially
             likely if you're using a recent (post 1.8.4) version of GD
       and didn't configure it with --disable-shared.

I also tried the command  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mrtg-2       \
             --with-gd=/usr/local/src/gd      \
             --with-z=/usr/local/src/zlib     \
             --with-png=/usr/local/src/libpng

without success.  Can someone help?