[mrtg] System Requirements

Warren Weber wweber at unctv.org
Thu Mar 13 18:26:44 MET 2003

Folks,

I have convinced my immediate management of the need of an MRTG system.
  I am looking at tapping the collective knowledge of the community so I
can size my system properly (allowing room for growth, etc.).  My
immediate requirements are to monitor four Cisco 2900XLs (24 ports), one
Cisco 2950 (24 ports), and six Brocade Silkworm 2800s (16 ports) -- a
total of 264 ports.  I may have other switches to monitor down the line
as well as a few servers (Win2k, NT and Solaris).

I am planning on using a PC with Linux on it (probably a recycled
desktop or a retiring server unless I can justify more).  What is
everyone using out there -- CPU, memory, disk?  Are there rules of thumb
relating the number of ports monitored to disk and memory?

Replies either to the list or direct to me are fine.  If there is
interest, I'll be happy to summarize the responses to the list.

Thanks!
Warren

--
Warren Weber
University of North Carolina Center for Public Television
wweber at unctv.org

JOIN THE FUN!! VOLUNTEER FOR FESTIVAL 2003 FEB. 22-MARCH 30.

Contact Volunteer Services at 1-877-549-3222, vservices at unctv.org
or click on the link below to sign up with our easy online form:
http://www.unctv.org/memberbenefits/volunteer/festivalv.html.