[mrtg] Re: Monitoring VLANs on CISCO

Will Saxon WillS at housing.ufl.edu
Fri Mar 14 15:43:11 MET 2003

It is, but my experience is that vlan-wide information is stored on the RSM (if you have those). So, if you want to see all of vlan 1 you get that from the RSM. If you want to know the amount of traffic on vlan 1 for your particular switch, you are going to have to build a custom mrtg cfg file that includes an aggregate definition for all the ports you know are on vlan 1 on the switch. Obviously this is not dynamic, but it is all I have been able to come up with.

Whenever I have tried monitoring vlan information on the switch itself, the interface gets commented out by cfgmaker because the switch reports an interface speed of 0, and no traffic information is stored in if{In|Out}Octets. The majority of our traffic is routed via RSMs still, so I have not had a huge problem monitoring total vlan traffic.

We do have a newer 6513 device with a Sup2/MSFC2 blade in it. We are running in hybrid mode and doing layer-3 switching on the switch side; the MSFC2 seems to only come into the picture with multicast and logged access-list traffic - everything else is handled via the SUP2, and thus we are just out of luck with respect to vlan monitoring on that device.

-Will