[mrtg] Re: Did MRTG work on Nortel router .

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Mar 17 12:58:42 MET 2003

> Hi All ,
> Can some one tell if there is a problem to sample a Nortel router ,
> Did I need a different set of MIB's , where can I found those MIB's .

Sharon,

All Nortel routers used by corporations and institutions support SNMP
MIBs, and in fact until recently, they had to be mostly configured
using a software tool that ships on a CD with the router called
Site Manager. Site Manager relied primarily on the SNMP Mibs to
remotely configure and monitor each router. The Mibs are installed
in the Site Manager directory under the MIBS subdirectory. As of
Nortel's v14 code, there were about 158 files in that directory
including the standard RFC1213.MIB file which mrtg relies on
primarily.

If mrtg cannot access a Nortel router, it is likely the result of one
of two issues:
 1. you're using an incorrect community string, or,
 2. the individual that configured the router included an item that
    limits which IP addresses are authorized to send snmp requests
    to that router (a fairly common practice).

Rich