[mrtg] Re: unknaszero]

fluhmann at vvm.com fluhmann at vvm.com
Mon Mar 24 22:25:15 MET 2003

My test on using unknaszero show a value of 0.0000000000e+000 being stored
in the *.rrd

> Also, I want to graph the sum of multiple interfaces using the summing
> capability of MRTG, but when one of the interfaces is down ( or doesn't
> return data ) the porcess stops.

The way that we graph the sum of multiple interfaces is by using the
'graph' function of RRDTool.
Here as an example of what we do (ex. using 3 interfaces):

c:\mrtg\rrdtool\bin\rrdtool graph aggregate.png --imgformat PNG --width
650 --height 150
DEF:onex=64.39.30.21_23.rrd:ds0:AVERAGE
DEF:oney=64.39.30.21_23.rrd:ds1:AVERAGE
DEF:twox=64.39.30.21_24.rrd:ds0:AVERAGE
DEF:twoy=64.39.30.21_24.rrd:ds1:AVERAGE
DEF:threex=64.39.30.21_25.rrd:ds0:AVERAGE
DEF:threey=64.39.30.21_25.rrd:ds1:AVERAGE
CDEF:myxx=onex,twox,threex,+,+,8,*
CDEF:myyy=oney,twoy,threey,+,+,8,*
CDEF:myzz=myxx,myyy,+
AREA:myxx#00ff00:"Incoming Traffic (AVERAGE)"
LINE1:myyy#0000ff:"Outgoing Traffic (AVERAGE)"
LINE2:myzz#ff0000:"Total traffic  (in+out)"

You might want to look at RRDTool's documentation on 'graph' and 'create'
for an explanation.  We use them in a web page where the user can select
the interface(s) that they want to see an aggregate graph of.

Hope that helps,
Jeremy