[mrtg] Unable to complete ./configure run

Chi Dang chid at eglobalcall.com
Tue Mar 25 08:46:10 MET 2003

Hi,

I am trying to set up the MRTG for my Solaris system, but running into
these failed tests. I had followed the instruction to install zlib,
libpng and gd (make and install them into standard /usr/local directory)
and no shared files *.so.* .

It does not matter what I do afterward, I kept getting the failed tests
of these - I did a, b and c to the letter. I read the configure file and
specified all the directories (both standard and using --with options)
without any success. I assume that these tests are necessary so I want
to resolve the problem.

Any pointer to help out?

Thanks,
Chi Dang

PS: output from my system and /usr/local directory below

.
.
checking if long long works here... yes
checking for gdImageGif in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng_jpg in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng_jpg_ft in -lgd... no
checking for gdImageGd in -lgd... yes
checking gd.h usability... yes
checking gd.h presence... yes
checking for gd.h... yes

** Ooops, one of many bad things happened:

   a)  You don't have the GD library installed.
       Get it from http://www.boutell.com, compile it and
       use either --with-gd-lib=DIR and --with-gd-inc=DIR to specify
       its location. You might also have to use --with-z-inc,
             --with-z-lib and --with-png-inc, --with-png-lib for gd
             versions 1.6 and higher.  Check config.log for more
       information on the problem.

   b)  You have the GD library installed, but not the gd.h
       header file.  Download the source (see above) and use
       --with-gd-inc=DIR to specify where the file can be found.

   c)  You have the library and the header file installed, but
       you also have a shared GD library in the same directory.
       Remove the shared library files and/or links (e.g.
       libgd.so.2.0.0, libgd.so and libgd.so.2).  This is especially
             likely if you're using a recent (post 1.8.4) version of GD
       and didn't configure it with --disable-shared.

   Consider following the instructions in doc/unix-guide.txt
# ls /usr/local/lib
gcc-lib             libgcj.a            libobjc.a           libsupc++.la
libfrtbegin.a       libgcj.la           libobjc.la          libz.a
libg2c.a            libgcj.so           libpng.a            perl5
libg2c.la           libgcj.so.3         libstdc++.a         security
libg2c.so           libgcj.so.3.0.0     libstdc++.la        ser
libg2c.so.0         libgcj.spec         libstdc++.so        sparcv9
libg2c.so.0.0.0     libgd.a             libstdc++.so.5
libgcc_s.so         libgd.la            libstdc++.so.5.0.1
libgcc_s.so.1       libiberty.a         libsupc++.a
# ls /usr/local/include
c++                     gdcache.h               jni.h
gc.h                    gdfontg.h               jvmpi.h
gc_backptr.h            gdfontl.h               org
gc_cpp.h                gdfontmb.h              png.h
gc_local_alloc.h        gdfonts.h               pngasmrd.h
gc_pthread_redirects.h  gdfontt.h               pngconf.h
gcj                     gnu                     zconf.h
gd.h                    java                    zlib.h
gd_io.h                 javax
#