[mrtg] Re: VLANS + Cisco 6509

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Wed Mar 26 23:04:23 MET 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 15:02, Will Saxon wrote:
> We have a 6513 in hybrid mode, and monitoring the vlan interface on the MSFC2 doesn't seem to show 'the whole story.' I could be doing something wrong, though.
>
> -Will

Right, it only shows the packets that were not cut-through switched.

The only way to get all of the traffic is with netflow, and that's an
whole other breed of cat...

The real question is - why do you care?  Monitoring based on the port is
generally more interesting than on the vlan, unless you want all of the
net-flow data.

Not misleading.  Just incomplete.

> > And if so what alternatives do I have ?

1.  Don't bother monitoring the information as it's pretty much
useless.  There is no "maximum" in cut-through mode, other than the
backplane of the switch (either 32Gb/s or 256Gb/s, depending on whether
the cross-bar feature is set up for your hardware) so you can't use the
information to determine when the resource is going to be exhausted...

2.  set up flow-tools (http://www.splintered.net) and get really
detailed records that tell you everything, but that don't summarize into
tidy graphs.
--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE 2495, CNX
Austin Energy