[mrtg] Re: VLANS + Cisco 6509

Will Saxon WillS at housing.ufl.edu
Thu Mar 27 13:50:36 MET 2003

Well we like to get a top-down view of different vlans, it can be helpful for quick monitoring in a campus environment like ours. I have been working on a different graph generation script than 14all, but when we were using that we had changed it to first load the vlan data, then clicking on a graph would bring up an exploded blade-level view of the buildings in that area, then ports per blade. The other reason it's good is because it makes some other coworkers happy. Regardless of its usefulness, we have it and we can say "hey we have this." Silly, I know.

I would like all of the netflow data, but the 6500 (and the only RSM I worked with also, oddly enough) exports it 'wrong'; some of the fields are not filled in correctly. As a result flowscan and cflowd/flowtools filters almost everything out thinking it was dropped by the access-list. I think it's fixable with new code but I haven't been able to convince the people in charge of the device to switch to the newer version.

-Will