[mrtg] Re: Bandwidth Utilization for ADSL interface

Peter Glanville peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Thu Mar 27 18:07:51 MET 2003

>>Hello colleagues,
>>
>>I want to measure the bandwidth utilization for an ADSL interface. Since
>>ADSL by nature has different up/down speeds, I wonder how to measure in
and
>>out traffic using different speeds for each. Does anybody know what the
>>config file for this would look like ?
>>Thanks in advance for your help.
>>

>I've inquired about this before - mrtg is designed to do Synchronous
>connections. Nothing you can do in the config file (or nothing you need to

>do). You'll simply have a large green line for downloads, and a small peak

>for upload (depending on the ratio of your upload to download - I have
>1.5/128 so my upload line is barely visible.)

One exeedingly scenic solution would be two run MRTG reports, one measuring
IN as a percentage, the other measuring OUT as a percentage. ie:
target[in]: IfInOctets&IfInOctets:public at ipaddress * 100 / 1500 (or
whatever your bandwidth is)
target[out]: IfOutOctets&IfOutOctets:public at ipaddress * 100 / 128 (or
whatever your bandwidth is)

Store your data using RRD, and view using Routers2.cgi, which allows both
lines to plotted (as percentages) on a single graph.
Down to you to work out the legends.

Messy, but it should work.

Peter