[mrtg] Re: Running MRTG More Frequently Than every minute

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Mar 28 03:37:07 MET 2003

FWIW, there is something out there that does this on a limited basis -
STG.

Also, you can use RRDTool to get resolution as fine as 1 second.  MRTG
will do as little as 5 mintes.

Paul

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, nate wrote:
> > Has anyone had any success running MRTG at higher frequencies than
once
> > every minute? Say, once every 10 seconds or so?
>
> yep, no problems.. every 10 seconds.. of course any data that has
> higher then 5 minute resolution is ignored, but mrtg won't stop you
> from running every 10 seconds.

Right, well, forgive me for being inaccurate.

ISTR you can run MRTG once a minute and configure the RRDs to allow
for
once-a-minute collection points (with a shorter retention interval --
along
the lines of 6 hours, I believe).

Now, what I'd like, is to have even finer granularity than this.
For example, keeping 720 datapoints and updating every 10 seconds would
give
me a graph of the last two hours.

> this has gotta be the 3rd or 4th time this question has been asked
in
> the past week..

Sorry -- I just subscribed and a search of the mailing list archive did
not
reveal anything particularly illuminating, though perhaps I missed
something.
I did just go through this last week's postings to make sure and didn't
see
anything that answered this question.

-roy