[mrtg] Another MRTG graph scale question

Samson Martinez smartine at motive.com
Mon Mar 31 21:23:15 MEST 2003

I've been monitoring ICMP traffic on a couple of redundant routers over
the last couple of months with no MRTG problems, other than the initial
setup. One of the routers was receiving a ton of ICMP hits (some of you
may remember this issue..:) ) while the other was receiving about 5 per
second. Because of this I had MRTG configured without the "perminute"
option on the first router and WITH the "perminute" option on the second
router.

This past Sunday I modified the IP addresses on the routers so that the
roles are now reversed, the 2nd router is now receiving the bulk of the
ICMP packets while the 1st is receiving hardly any. I failed to modify
the MRTG configs to reflect these changes and so, for the 1st 16 hours
or so, the graph for the 2nd router was showing about 587 kicmp where it
should have been graphing 587 icmp. I made the changes to MRTG and now
the graph is reporting properly.

However, the graph is still scaling to "k", I guess because of the
initial oversight on my part to make the change BEFORE I configured the
routers. Is there any way to correct this or will I have to wait until
each graph makes its respective cycle? I imagine the Daily graph will
fix itself after 34 hours. Will I have to wait for the other graphs to
do the same?

Thanks!

-Samson