[mrtg] Re: MIB's & MRTG ...

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Fri May 2 17:21:08 MEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 10:06, Joe Graeber wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm *really* new to this and I've seen a few references to 'downloading
> MIBs'.  I'm going to assume that these are input using the cfgmaker --load
> switch ... but I'm more curious as to what benefit this really allows for?
> If there's an online article on this subject, I'd be more than happy to read
> through it if someone has a URL handy.

cfgmaker is designed to give you a nice pretty traffic config.  It can
be extended with templates to do a few more things, but in essence that
it what it is for.

There are a lot more mibs in the world than just traffic ones.  With the
mib file, if you have the patience to read it, you can determine what
the OID string of a particular item might be.  Or, if you have a
particularly simple mib and it's in v1 format, you can use the loadmibs:
directive in an mrtg config file and then use the names of the items
contained in that file.

> I'm trying to monitor some Cisco Router Ethernet Sub-Interfaces and I'm
> wondering if maybe all I need to do is load the correct MIB?

Nope, you need to upgrade the code to the point where it isn't stable
enough to move any packets.  Then it will generate the stats you
need....

Yes it's a bug.  I even opened a couple of bugs on it 18 months ago...

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Joe.
>
> --
Daniel J McDonald <dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com>