[mrtg] Re: Monitoring DNS requests

nate mrtg at aphroland.org
Mon May 5 22:40:10 MEST 2003

OReilly, Stuart said:

> I do get a named.stats file created with the various figures in it, but my
> graph won't display any information.  Can anyone help me?

I haven't formalized this setup yet but it seems to work for me..

http://mrtg.aphroland.org/named-statistics.txt

needs to be configured and run in cron every so often(mine runs every
5 minutes)

then I use
http://mrtg.aphroland.org/named-stats.txt

to read the stats through xinetd as partially documented here:
http://howto.aphroland.de/HOWTO/MRTG/ScriptsAndInetd

I seperate the 2 scripts because the first one has to issue
a kill to the BIND process in order to get the stats updated,
if this script was triggerable(sp) via network then someone
could potentially DOS the system.

stats:
http://mrtg.aphroland.org/portal.aphroland.org/portal.aphroland.org.named.total.html
http://mrtg.aphroland.org/portal.aphroland.org/portal.aphroland.org.named.forw.html
http://mrtg.aphroland.org/portal.aphroland.org/portal.aphroland.org.named.err.html
http://mrtg.aphroland.org/portal.aphroland.org/portal.aphroland.org.named.rej.html

I just re-configured mrtg to use 'perhour' for this setup so I wiped
the archive stats yesterday.

MRTG config:
http://mrtg.aphroland.org/mrtg.cfg

also need this script:
http://mrtg.aphroland.org/named.txt

as you can see the config isn't very organized yet, haven't spent much
time on it in the past couple months.

nate