[mrtg] Re: CPU Load on Win2K

Jerry Heidtke jheidtke at fmlh.edu
Wed May 7 16:00:43 MEST 2003

Don't try to use snmp4w2k to graph cpu usage on a multi-processor box. It won't work.

The .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.3.1.2.x OID (replace x with 1, 2, for whichever CPU you are using) is a little more reliable. However, this OID, by definition, shows the average CPU load over the past minute. If you are using MRTG to poll every five minutes, it won't be entirely accurate, although your averages over longer periods of time should be very close.

The best solution is if your hardware vendor supplies snmp agents that provide this data, like Compaq and some others do. The Compaq OID for five minute CPU average is .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.11.2.3.1.1.3.x (replace x with 0, 1, 2, etc.).

If you can't use this, implement calling an external script that gets the WMI stats.

Jerry