[mrtg] Re: Getting IP Alias statistics?

nate mrtg at aphroland.org
Sat May 10 08:22:39 MEST 2003

Allon Bendavid said:
> We're using Linux Kernel 2.4.18-27.  It seems that we can't get the unique
> TX/RX packet counts from ifconfig or in the /proc/net for IP aliases.  We
> need the unique counts in order to have MRTG report on those addresses
> activity.
>
> Anyone encounter this?

this is normal. the linux kernel hasn't kept track of aliased interfaces
since the 2.0.x kernel from what I've read(i think ifconfig manpage).

if you want this, setup accounting rules(iptables) to track the data,
I have very little experience with iptables myself(none, really) since
nearly all of my systems are 2.2.x still. I don't know how it's done
in iptables but I know it's possible someone I used to work with
did it last year with RRDTool and a buncha perl scripting.

I use freebsd's ipfw to run traffic accounting for mrtg.

nate