[mrtg] bandwidth question

Taylor Lewick Taylor.Lewick at us.fortis.com
Wed May 14 22:22:57 MEST 2003

Okay, here is my situation.
I recently configured a Gigabit interface card on one of our tape media servers.

I then told the other servers to backup to this server.

I then tested some backups. I watched for over 10 minutes, with overlap on the MRTG 5 minute interval, and the lowest rate I ever saw come through to that interface was 125 Mbits per second, and the highest was 267 Mbits per second.  Great it works!  I verifed these results by using the SolarWinds Bandwidth monitor tool, as well as with GlancePlus (measurement software for HP-UX), so I feel pretty good about two different tools seeing the same results.

When I checked the MRTG graph, it showed 104 Mbits per second during that period.
I verified that the MaxSpeed for this link shows 1000.0 Mbits/sec

Then to really load it, I opened up ftp jobs from 6 different servers to that interface and transferred some huge data files.  I saw the bandwidth go to over 300 Mbps per second for well over 10 minutes.

Yet when I checked the MRTG graph, it only showed 111 Mbits/sec during the ftp test, and 104 Mbits/sec during the backup test.
Any ideas as to why it isn't displaying what I think it should, specifically higher values?  It is a 5 minute average right?  Both times I made sure the tests lasted at least 10 minutes to cover at least one 5 minute window of high bandwidth.

Thanks,
Taylor

			Please Note
The information in this E-mail message is legally privileged
and confidential information intended only for the use of the
individual(s) named above. If you, the reader of this message,
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this
E-mail message. If you have received this E-mail in error,
please notify the sender. Thank you