[mrtg] Re: MRTG more curved ?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed May 14 23:48:09 MEST 2003

On Wed, 14 May 2003, jeanjean wrote:

> I'm using MRTG to monitor a switch, but i have alot of peaks.
> How can i do to diplay the graphs more 'curved' so that i will look more
> 'sinusoidal'

Ask your users to spread their traffic out over time in a sinusoidal
pattern.

This may sound flippant (OK, it is flippant...) but MRTG measures traffic,
it doesn't generate it, or at least not much of it.  As you aggregate more
users or interfaces, they tend to smooth out with one user's peaks falling
into another's valleys.

WYSIWYG.  If MRTG is showing bursty traffic, your traffic is bursty.  This
may or may not be something to worry about, but MRTG can't fix or change it.
MRTG just graphs it.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323