[mrtg] Using SNMP v2

Peter Glanville peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Thu May 15 12:06:42 MEST 2003

Hi all,
Can anyone spot the really obvious mistake I must have made.

I decided to upgrade to 64 bit counters for the Gigabit interface on my
3Com 3500.

I used Getif to check ifHCInOctets.1 (&ifHCOutOctets.1) and both return a
value (displayed as 16 bytes of Hex)
I think that this proves that the device supports 64 bit counters.

I then added :::::2 to my Target line (in a working MRTG.cfg)
The line now reads "Target[Gig_interface_1]: 1:public at 172.16.32.3:::::2"

But running MRTG now gives:
SNMP Error:
no response received
SNMPv2c_Session (remote host: "172.16.32.3" [172.16.32.3].161)
                   community: "public"
                  request ID: 1108138999
                 PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                     timeout: 2s
                     retries: 5
                     backoff: 1)
SNMPGET Problem for ifHCInOctets.1 ifHCOutOctets.1 sysUptime sysName on
public at 172.16.32.3:::::2
WARNING: skipping because at least the query for ifHCInOctets.1 on
172.16.32.3 did not succeed

I suspect my problem is a silly one, but please point out my stupidity. TIA

Win2k, MRTG 2.9.25

Regards
Peter Glanville
Network Analyst, ICtS, Canon (UK) Ltd

"This email may contain confidential information which is intended for the
required recipient only.  If you are not the named recipient you should not
take any action in relation to this email, other than to notify us that you
have received it in error.  If this email contains attachments you should
ensure they are checked for viruses before opening them."