[mrtg] MRTG to monitor Gigabit-ethernet with counter32 and interval: 1

Michael Markstaller mm at elabnet.de
Tue May 27 12:54:47 MEST 2003

Just a quick question, I have to monitor a 3Com Superstack 4900 GE-switch which seems to have no SNMP-v2c at all and so no 64Bit-counters ifHC*Octets.
So far so bad, I understand the whole problem; when traffic hits 114 MBit, counters wrap etc..

A possible way out I thought of now is to run MRTG (with RRDtool for sure) more often with "Interval: 1" which should give me at least graphs up2 ~570Mbit.
Am I right ? Anybody done this that way, is there something else to consider ? I created the RRD's with mrtg-2.9.29, are they capable to handle the high values by default or do I have to alter them (I'd find out how)
I thought to create a separate mrtg instance only for these two switches to not tamper the other graphs.
Just to make sure: I really don't want to make mrtg run with a higher resolution, I only want to monitor the GE-ports with 32bit-counters. another question (I know it was asked a thousand times, but only to enhance resolution which I don't want to): is it possible to set interval to .5 (30 seconds) to poll the counters even more often and be able to see the whole workaround this completely ?
I read & tried everything possible now, maybe somebody can only acknowlegede "interval" helps me out. (or tell me it's impossible, then I'll go to 3Com and tell them to have a deeper look on rfc2233.

Michael