[mrtg] MRTG Interval

Mike Vesey mvesey at dbvisions.com
Fri May 30 20:09:41 MEST 2003

I'm experiencing some odd behavior with MRTG.  It is running on a quad
xeon 2 gig mem blah blah windows 2000 server (not my choice, but it
seems to work)
The conf file has about 871 entries in it and MRTG runs every 5 min.  If
I run it from command line it takes about 90 seconds to complete.

Here's the problem.

Some of my device web pages aren't being refreshed.  I have one that
hasn't been updated since 5 hours ago.

Also, I have several devices (Patton RAS's) that are identical in
config, some report correctly, some don't (NOTE: these have the "gauge"
option set to get a number of ports in use statistic instead of traffic.
All config entries are identical.

It just seems like something is not quite right on this box.

Is it possible I have overrun the scale of MRTG?

Can I thread or anything cute to help it be more efficient?

I do generate mrtg.conf from a perl script pulling info from a DB, can I
use multiple smaller mrtg.conf files to help?

Should I start reading about RRD tool?  I wish I could get a "in a
nutshell" tutorial on the changes I would have to make to the
application to use RRD.

Thanks for the help.

Mike