[mrtg] Re: Problems with external script

Michael Schwartzkopff misch at multinet.de
Wed Nov 5 14:33:35 MET 2003

Am Mittwoch, 5. November 2003 14:12 schrieben Sie:
> Michael,
>
> Ther can be several reasons for not showing any data in the graphs.
> Since you did not send the whole of your MRTG config file I can not tell
> the exact reason, but my bet is you have to add 'gauge' at the options
> line.
>
> Hth,
>
> Jan.

Hi,

that was a good point. If I am adding "gauge" to the options than MRTG starts
working correctly. The only problem is that my data are of not of type gauge.
I need the difference between the data. In the manuals I reed:

"In the absence of 'gauge' or 'absolute' options, MRTG treats variables as a
counters and calculates the difference between the current and the previous
value and divides that by the elapsed time between the last two readings to
get the value to be plotted."

Why does MRTG not work it in my setup? Any idea ? Please find the mrtg.cfg
listed below:

WorkDir: /srv/www/htdocs/mrtg
Options[_]: growright,gauge

Target[mail_2]: `/root/getdata`
MaxBytes[mail_2]: 1000
YLegend[mail_2]: Mails/5min
Title[mail_2]: Traffic Analysis for mail
PageTop[mail_2]: <H1>Traffic Analysis for mail</H1>
 <TABLE>
   <TR><TD>System:</TD>     <TD>mail in Serverroom</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>Maintainer:</TD> <TD>M. Schwartzkopff
&lt;misch at multinet.de&gt;</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>Description:</TD><TD>Mail traffic </TD></TR>
 </TABLE>

- --
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
MultiNET Services GmbH
Bretonischer Ring 7
85630 Grasbrunn

Tel: (+49 89) 456 911 - 0
Fax: (+49 89) 456 911 - 21
mob: (+49 174) 343 28 75

PGP-ID: 15F925D9CEF94F2C
Fingerprint: AF27 2674 4631 E230 B431  F68D 15F9 25D9 CEF9 4F2C