[mrtg] Re: Subtraction

Jerry Heidtke jheidtke at fmlh.edu
Thu Nov 6 17:37:43 MET 2003

It looks like you are taking hrMemorySize, dividing by hrMemorySize
(which will always give you and answer of 1), then subtracting
hrStorageUsed for one instance. Assuming that more than one allocation
unit is returned by hrStorageUsed, the end result will be a negative
number.

Mind your parentheses...

You want to use hrStorageSize, not hrMemorySize, so that the same units
are in use on both operators. You also need the right instance numbers
at the ends of the OIDs, or nothing is going to work.

I'm assuming you are trying to graph a ratio of available memory. Here's
the type of calculation that you need to get the percentage of available
memory:

( hrStorageSize - hrStorageUsed ) / hrStorageSize * 100

Jerry