[mrtg] Re: Calling MIBs

Manny Ortega aortega at univ-wea.com
Wed Nov 12 17:40:32 MET 2003

Try walking 1.3.6.1.4.1.1718.3.2.5.1.6 and see what you get.
I use windows and use "snmpwalk ipaddress x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x" and save the
output to a file.
Then you will know if there are any targets past the last number (number 6).
Everyone assumes it's a zero (as it should be) but that's not always the
case....

Example:
The OID for bytes used on a Netapp volume is 1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.4 but I
have three volumes and I don't know which is which, so I walk the OID:

Syntax = 2
Oid = 1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.4.1
Value = 1044276

Syntax = 2
Oid = 1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.4.2
Value = 87804

Syntax = 2
Oid = 1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.4.3
Value = 23231472

Syntax = 2
Oid = 1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.4.4
Value = 2288128

Syntax = 2
Oid = 1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.4.5
Value = 73576584

Syntax = 2
Oid = 1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.4.6
Value = 26998428

Then I just look for what I'm supposed to be getting and use that.
You're looking for temperatures, so bear in mind that you might get tenths
of a degree or degrees x 100 or they might be in Celsius or Fahrenheit.

Just have an idea of what you're looking for, walk the OID and look for
that...

Hope that helps.

-MannyO