[mrtg] Best Practice Questions

Barakat, Mehmet-Hasan hbarakat at kpmg.com
Sun Nov 16 16:02:54 MET 2003

The addictive nature of monitoring has presented me with a procedural
dilemma, and I'd like some input.

I'm monitoring servers, switches, routers and smart-PDUs for processor
utilization, memory, storage, traffic, errors, temperature, humidity, power
draw and more.

My mrtg web directory is starting to get cluttered. Before this bludgeons
totally out of control, I must bring some organization into the mix.

Background - RH9 running RRD tool with routers.cgi. Love it.

* I'm adding each .cfg file to my /etc/crontab as I build a config. I bet
there's a better way of doing this.
* I'm wondering whether it's better to use a big config file with many
targets or many little config files.
* What's an accepted way of hierarchy? Like - should I do a cfg for all my
routers monitoring for CPU and another cfg for memory? Or should I have each
router at the top, with sub-targets within each cfg for memory, util,
traffic, etc? Or should I have one big huge massive cfg that has all my
campus nodes? Is there a boost to performance going one way over the other?

Thanks

is unauthorized.