[mrtg] Re: Best Practice Questions

Peter Glanville peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Mon Nov 17 10:13:37 MET 2003

> My mrtg web directory is starting to get cluttered. Before this bludgeons
> totally out of control, I must bring some organization into the mix.
>
> Background - RH9 running RRD tool with routers.cgi. Love it.
>
> What's an accepted way of hierarchy?

The best design is the one that suits your needs.
I run routers2.cgi in a windoze environment (I assume the same design will
work for you)
Create a directory tree. You could group by location, by device type or
whatever is best for you. Create separate CFG files within each directory,
containing multiple targets in a logical manner.
eg: all the interfaces of one switch in a config file, in a directory full
of switch files. Another directory has router files, another server files
and so on.
Routers.conf ammended to include the various directories.
Then in Routers, the devices menu lists the directories. Drill into the
directory and it lists the config files. Pick a config file, and the target
menu lists all the interfaces (I use Twinmenu=yes)which you can then drill
into for the history.
You can even create 'dummy' CFGs which are display summaries for your
convenience. These are listed and viewable in Routers, and pull their info
from other interfaces that MRTG has processed in some other live CFG file.

You then need to run the live CFGs with MRTG.
You currently use Cron for each and every CFG. Messy but functional.
You can use the Include statement in a master CFG to suck in each lower
level one. A single (massive) master file may take too long to process, so
it may need splitting into a number of simultaneous jobs.
I leave others to discuss a Unix thing called Forks.

Peter