[mrtg] polling every minute but still 5 min avg graph?

crayola at optonline.net crayola at optonline.net
Thu Nov 20 15:59:27 MET 2003

Folks,

I have mrtg/rrdtool/mrtg-rrd.cgi working great
to obtain and graph CPU and memory stats from 50+
Solaris systems. We are currently running mrtg
every 5 minutes out of cron to kick off the polling.
It currently takes about 5-6 seconds to poll all the systems.

The first graph that mrtg-rrd.cgi generates indicates
that it is based on a 5 minute average, but since we
are only polling every 5 minutes, its really just the number
returned from the poll (a snapshot view essentially).

My boss would like me to begin polling every minute with
mrtg/rrdtool, but still generate graphs using a 5 minute
average. This would produce a much more accurate graph without
the headaches that come with trying to physically graph and interpret 5x the
number of data points. Obviously polling every minute would also
dramatically increase the number of data points that are averaged
together to create the other graphs as well.

Can this be done?   What would I need to modify in mrtg/rrdtool and
mrtg-rrd.cgi ?

I did see a web page in my travels that explained how to poll every
minute and get 1 minute avg graphs.. Not quite what I wanted however.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Mike