[mrtg] Re: SMTP on TCP port

Peter P. Benac ppbenac at emacolet.com
Wed Nov 26 16:59:31 MET 2003

Chris,

    I'd be more interested in what kind of errors you are having binding to
UDP port 161 and why you are trying to bind to port 161?  You don't need to
bind to port 161 unless you are writing an SNMP agent.  Furthermore Redhat's
SNMP agents will bind to this port during the startup process and this will
block any additional software from binding to that port.

    You need to do snmpget's and snmp writes TO port 161 on the devices you
are trying to manage.  This does not require you bind to any port on the
system you are running your SNMP software on.  To extract data from a device
all you need to do is open a socket with the DISTINATION port set to 161 and
not the SOURCE port. SNMP Agents don't really care what port sources the
request to it's port 161.

Regards,
Pete
----
Peter P. Benac, CCNA
Emacolet Networking Services, Inc
Providing Systems and Network Consulting, Training, Web Hosting Services
Phone: 919-847-1740 or 866-701-2345
Web: http://www.emacolet.com
Need quick reliable Systems or Network Management advice visit
http://www.nmsusers.org

To have principles...
             First have courage.. With principles comes integrity!!!