[mrtg] Re: SMTP on TCP port

Peter P. Benac ppbenac at emacolet.com
Wed Nov 26 17:19:56 MET 2003

Chris,

      Are you attempting to write and SNMP Agent?  As I said before Redhat's
own SNMP agents will bind to port 161 before you startup your software
unless you disable them.  Furthermore you can't use the same functions for
UDP ports that you use for TCP ports.   The latter assumes a "connection"
between devices; whereas, UDP ports are connectionless.

     You have to use the more primitive recv and send functions for UDP
ports instead of the recvfrom and connect/send functions.

     I assure you even RedHat hasn't messed with the way TCP/IP works at
this level.

Regards,
Pete
----
Peter P. Benac, CCNA
Emacolet Networking Services, Inc
Providing Systems and Network Consulting, Training, Web Hosting Services
Phone: 919-847-1740 or 866-701-2345
Web: http://www.emacolet.com
Need quick reliable Systems or Network Management advice visit
http://www.nmsusers.org

To have principles...
             First have courage.. With principles comes integrity!!!